WNC is always in need of volunteers to help with our many programs, as well as to help us with operating our free store. Please read below for current opportunities to volunteer for specific programs. It’s easy to sign up to volunteer with WNC using our sign up genius link! Just click on the icon to see all of the current opportunities available and waiting for you:
Volunteering at the Store
We need volunteers every time we are at the store!
On donation days, volunteers can help in many areas, including sorting incoming donations, folding and hanging clothes so our store is ready for shoppers, organizing household items on shelves, tidying store areas, and cleaning wherever needed. Special projects pop up all the time during these days, and we never seem to run out of things to do!
On days the store is open for clients, volunteers assist families with navigating the store and finding specific items. If you can translate Spanish or like to assist families with finding needed items while shopping, feel free to stop in and help out. Again, there is always something to do during our store open hours, too.
Would your classroom, club, church, business or group like a service project that would help your community?
In addition to the individual volunteering events found in our sign up genius link, WNC has many opportunities for your whole group to get involved! We know everyone enjoys helping others in our community, but sometimes it is difficult to know the best way to help out. Take a look at the list below for some ideas that previous community groups and individuals have done to support WNC in our mission of helping our neighbors:
- Holding a drive in your neighborhood, business, or classroom to collect toiletry items (toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, etc.) or cleaning supplies (glass cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, all purpose cleaner, etc.).
- Making kits for upcoming projects such as “Fun in the Sun” items or First Aid Kits. This event would include doing the collection, purchasing, and assembly of the kits. We would supply with a written list to guide you with obtaining the needed items.
- Hosting a car wash and donating profits to WNC.
- Hosting a bake sale and donating the profits to WNC- a great idea during garage sales. Donate a percentage of the money you raise during your garage sale to WNC.
- Donating 10%, $1, or any amount from the sale of business services or items to WNC.
- Putting out a “collection” jar at your local business so folks can easily donate to WNC.
- Holding a neighborhood party where guests bring items needed by WNC (e.g., diapers, toilet paper, laundry soap, shampoo, hand soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.).
- Creating a neighborhood “carnival” and donating the profits to WNC.
- Collecting and recycling aluminum cans from area work or lunch rooms, tailgating events, or from families in your neighborhood and donating the proceeds to WNC.
Do you have another great idea that is not listed here? We would love to hear it! We always welcome your creativity, as well as your generous donations of time, effort, and financial support. Please contact us at (608) 849-5740 or firstname.lastname@example.org if your group, family, or business would like to host an event to raise funds for WNC. We look forward to working with you soon!