Did You Know?
Mission: Waunakee Neighborhood Connection (WNC) supports hundreds of Waunakee, Wisconsin area residents by providing individuals and families who are going through hard times everyday necessities such as clothing, diapers, toiletries, bedding, household items and even vehicles for transportation. In addition, WNC collaborates with over 45 area resources to assist and empower families with housing, health care, food, financial, educational, transportation, and employment needs. 84% of all money raised at WNC goes toward program costs. As a volunteer based organization, WNC offers valuable opportunities for businesses, school groups and others to give of their time and talent. Over 4,500 volunteer hours were recorded for 2018!
Programs: WNC's FREE Store collects new and gently used items. In 2018, we received over 12,000 pounds of clothes and shoes, and sorted through 21,000 new and used items to prepare it for use by clients.
The Build a Bed program is a partnership with Waunakee Furniture to purchase new mattresses, box springs, and bed frames for community members with no beds. WNC supplies new bedding through our partnership with Bed Bath and Beyond. Community donations and grant funds support this program. In 2018, over 20 beds were delivered to clients.
Christmas Meals were assembled and delivered to 175 community members in 2018. Meals cost $25 each and supplies a family with groceries to serve a family of four or more a traditional holiday meal.
Funding: WNC is funded completely by community members, businesses and organizations. Annual fundraising events such as The Big Waunabowskee Bowl-a-Thon, Horrible Holiday Sweater Shuffle and the Holiday Meal Drive help keeps the lights on. However, it is because of monetary and donation drives coordinated with business and organization partners, such as the electric cord drive, coat drives, Cocoa Mocha, and Winning Wednesdays, that we're able to provide programming to community members in need.
Current WNC Needs:
- Volunteers – all talents are needed
- Books or rolls of postage stamps
- Labels for a laser printer - 2"x4" and Address Labels
- Men's and Teen's New Birthday Gift Items (gift cards, portable speakers, electric razors, sports gear, etc.)
- Gift boxes and Jumbo sized gift bags (paper or plastic) for Kid's Christmas Shopping Event
- New Toiletries, Paper Towel and Toilet Paper
Current Client Needs:
- Local Gift Cards - gas and grocery cards most needed
- Furniture - bed frames (no used mattresses please), dressers, tables/chairs, night stands, book cases, couches
- Appliances - vacuums, space heaters, portable air conditioning units, dehumidifiers