Volunteers are the heart of Neighborhood Connection and make our programs and services possible and successful. We strive to provide meaningful opportunities for community members to connect with each other and with those in need to make Waunakee a place where everyone is valued and can thrive.
By volunteering at Neighborhood Connection, you are not just giving of your time, you are:
- Using your talents and skills to improve the lives of others
- Experiencing the personal rewards that come with helping others
- Trying new activities and/or learning new skills
- Serving your community in a way that fits your schedule and engages your passion
- Meeting new people and making new friends as you use your time to help others
Neighborhood Connection has opportunities and ways for individuals, groups, businesses, and organizations of all skills and ages to contribute.
Orientation and Application
At Neighborhood Connection, we strive to ensure that each volunteer is matched with a volunteer opportunity that applies their skills and talents, engages their interests and passion, and fits their availability. To do this, we encourage people interested in learning more about volunteer opportunities to register for an upcoming Volunteer Information Session and Orientation.
During orientation, you will get valuable information about our history, mission, and goals; our programs and services; the community need; and opportunities to partner with Neighborhood Connection to help local residents in need.
Those wishing to volunteer at Neighborhood Connection can fill out the required application materials at orientation or download and complete the documents prior to orientation.
If you are a student in grades 7-12 and have a heart and passion for serving in our community, we invite you to join Neighborhood Connection’s Student Team. The Student Team is a great way to get involved, connect with other students as you do fun and rewarding projects together, and both learn about and give back to our community.
If you have any questions about the student team or how you can get involved, please contact Stacey Dudley, our client and volunteer services manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608)849-5740. She can provide you with the forms that you and your parent will need to complete prior to you participating in your first Student Team project.
Current Student Team members can register for projects here.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Note: Current active volunteers may click on an opportunity to access the schedule and sign up for shifts.
- CRM/Data entry
- Building and grounds maintenance
- Cleaning – Sparkle team!
- Grant and donor research
- Event chairmen/committees
- Bowl-a-thon (April)
- Fall event TBD (Oct)
- Social media
- Special events (tabling, kids’ activities)
- Welcome desk (shifts available Mon/Wed/Fri between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm)
- Free store
- Department coordinators (e.g., accessories, clothing)
- Sorting room (shifts available Mon/Wed/Fri between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm)
- Client shopping customer service (shopping days as indicated on our calendar)
- Baking – Provide baked goodies for our shopping days
- Large item pick-up/delivery
- Adopt-a-Family (Nov/Dec)
- Vehicle donation
- English language group
- Donation drives
- Fill the bus (Aug/Sept)
- Coats & winter gear (Fall)
- Laundry soap & diapers (Fall)
- Lights & cords (Dec/Jan)
- Spring cleaning/Great Scrub Up (Mar/Apr)
- Fun in the Sun (May)
- Days of Service
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan)
- Global Youth Service Day (Apr)
- 9/11 Day of Service (September)
- Family Volunteer Day (November)
Group Volunteering Ideas
Neighborhood Connection knows that everyone enjoys helping others in our community, and it is often to do so with your club, sports team, co-workers, or group of friends. Take a look at the list below for some ideas on projects that community groups and individuals have done in the past to support Neighborhood Connection’s mission of serving our neighbors in need.
- Host a collection drive in your neighborhood, business, or classroom for items needed in our store on a regular basis such as toiletry items (toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, etc.), cleaning supplies (glass cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, etc.), laundry soap, diapers, etc.
- Make kits for monthly special items such as Birthday Bags, Fun in the Sun, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc.
- Collect and recycle aluminum cans from area work or lunchrooms, tailgating events, or from families in your neighborhood and donate the proceeds to Neighborhood Connection.
- Make fleece blankets, afghans, quilts, hats, or mittens as a group and donate what you make.
- Volunteer as a group to help with furniture donation pick-up/deliveries, yard work, or gardening at the community garden.
- Create cards to be given to clients on special holidays such as Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas to let them know your group cares.
- Sort, test, and package used school supplies to prepare for annual distribution.
If you have a new and creative idea on how to partner with or support Neighborhood Connection with your gifts, talents, generosity or time, please contact us at email@example.com. We would love to meet with you to discuss your ideas.